Corn dogs are a classic American food that can be found at carnivals, state fairs, sporting events and backyard barbecues. This simple dish is made by taking a hot dog, wrapping it in a piece of cornbread dough, and frying it in oil. They can also be baked instead of fried, but they will not be as crispy.
Many people like to top their corn dogs with ketchup, mustard, or relish. Some people even add chili or cheese sauce to their dogs for extra flavour. Corn dogs make a fun and easy meal or snack that can be eaten on the go.
The recipe for corn dogs is simple, and they can be made with ingredients that are likely to be already in your kitchen. Give this tasty treat a try today! The recipe below makes six corn dogs. Check also our Corn dog maker reviews.
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 3/4 tbsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 strips pre-cooked bacon (optional)
- ketchup, mustard, relish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Cut each hotdog into thirds. Wrap one piece of bacon around each hot dog, if desired. Skewer the hot dogs on wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Dip the corndogs in the batter, making sure to coat them evenly. Place the corndogs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through or use corn dog machine maker.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, and relish, if desired. Enjoy!