Caramelized onions are a great way to add flavour and texture to any food and hot dogs are not exempt from this. And beer? Just the perfect combo. The sweetness of the onions, combined with the bitterness of beer, will give your hot dog a unique taste! Adding rocket to the mix will give the hot dog an extra layer of crunchy texture as well as a cool, peppery flavour. Enjoy this unique twist on a classic favourite!
This recipe is for 6 hot dogs so you can prepare perfect treats for the whole family or friends but you can also easily adjust it to suit your needs.
- 6 pork sausages
- 6 red onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 100g cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 500ml black beer
- 12 rocket leaves
- Dijon mustard
- 6 hot dog buns
- Begin by preparing the caramelized beer onions. Slice the red onions thinly and set them aside.
- Next, heat butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced red onions to the pan and cook until they become soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions are soft, add the cane sugar and balsamic vinegar to the skillet. Continue to cook on medium heat, stirring frequently as the sugar melts and turns into a syrupy consistency.
- Slowly pour in the black beer, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to low, allowing the onions to simmer in the beer mixture for about 20-25 minutes until they become caramelized and tender. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- As the onions are simmering, grill or pan-fry the pork sausages on medium heat. Turn them occasionally for even cooking, and cook until they are golden brown and fully cooked through.
- Warm the hot dog buns, either by lightly toasting them, or by wrapping them in foil and placing in a preheated oven (180°C) for a few minutes.
- Now, assemble the hot dogs! Place a cooked sausage in each bun, spoon a generous amount of caramelized beer onions on top, and finish with two rocket leaves for some fresh, peppery flavour.
Serve immediately and enjoy the bold, delectable taste of hot dogs with caramelized beer onions and rocket.