The Mexican hot dog is a tasty twist on the classic American staple. Instead of being served on a bun, the hot dog is wrapped in a soft tortilla and topped with salsa, onions, and jalapeños. This simple change creates a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion. Refried beans, cheese, and sour cream can also be added to the hot dog for an even tastier treat.
The best thing about the Mexican hot dog is that it can be customized to suit your preferences. If you like your food spicy, you can add extra jalapeños or salsa to the mix. Or, if you prefer a more traditional flavor, you can leave off the salsa and onions. Either way, you’re sure to enjoy this unique and flavorful dish.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 8 flour tortillas
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 cup of refried beans (pinto beans boiled and fried in advance and reheated when required, used especially in Mexican cooking.)
- 1/2 cup of goat cheese
- 1 cup of fresh salsa
- jalapenos and fresh cilantro for toppings
- Warm tortillas
- Spread refried beans
- Place hot dog on the bean mixture and sprinkle with goat cheese and jalapeños (if desired).
- Fold the bottom of the tortilla up to cover the hot dog.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until tortillas are crispy, or microwave for 2 minutes
- Top with sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro!
- Serve with salsa or ketchup, mustard, or any of your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!