The BLT Hot Dog is a delicious twist on the classic American hot dog and even looks slightly healthier too! The hot dog is wrapped in bacon and then topped with lettuce, tomato and mayo. It’s the perfect handheld meal for a summer BBQ or picnic.
This savory dish starts with a grilled hot dog, which is then topped with crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and juicy tomatoes. These give the hot dog a delicious flavor that is perfect for any summer barbecue or cookout.
The caraway mix in the mayonnaise give the sandwich a slight spicy flavor which goes great with the smoky taste of the bacon. You can also use regular mayonnaise if you don’t have time to make your own.
And the best part about this dish is that – as usual – it can be easily customized to suit your taste. So whether you like your hot dogs with ketchup or mustard, or you like to add a little bit of both, the BLT Hot Dog is sure to please.
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog bun
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups of shredded Iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup of basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of minced shallot
- 2 tsp of chopped capers
- 1 tbsp of chopped dill pickle
- 1 tbsp of toasted caraway seeds
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Whisk mayo, shallot, capers, dill pickle and caraway seeds in a medium bowl
- Grill hot dogs for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Can be cooked or whatever is your preferred method
- Remove from grill and place on buns.
- Top the dog with the caraway mix.
- Add bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, basil leaves.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!